Re: st: oprobit marginal effects with interactions

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: oprobit marginal effects with interactions
Date   Sun, 8 Feb 2009 15:04:31 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sun, 8/2/09, Zohal Hessami <[email protected]> wrote:
> currently, I am dealing with ordered probit estimations
> where I want to investigate the effect of government size on
> people's life satisfaction. To do so I have interacted
> government size with a few institutional dummies such as the
> extent of corruption.

Are you sure you want to do interactions here. To me it would
make more sense to look at indirect effects: Part of the effect
of government size on life satisfaction occurs through
corruption, rather than the effect of government size changes
as the level of corruption changes. Anyhow these indirect
effects are also hard in non-linear models, see for example
Sinning, Mathias, Hahn, Markus and Bauer, Thomas K. (2008)
The Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition for nonlinear regression
models. The Stata Journal, 8(4): 480--492.
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0152 .

<snip>

> Is it possible that inteff can only be used for binary
> probit/logit and not for ordered probit/logit? If not, what
> else could be the reason why I get this error message?

If you type -help inteff- you will see that the title of this package is: "Computing interaction effects and standard errors in logit and probit models", so that indicates that you cannot do this after -oprobit-.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam