st: update sheafcoef

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   stata list <[email protected]>
Subject   st: update sheafcoef
Date   Sat, 7 Feb 2009 20:58:52 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks to Kit Baum a update of the -sheafcoef- package is now available from SSC. -sheafcoef- is described below. Martin Weiss pointed out an error in the help-file, and -sheafcoef- mis-labeled the constant when the -eform- option was specified. These problems have been fixed. To update -sheafcoef- type -ssc install sheafcoef, replace- or -adoupdate-.

-- Maarten

-sheafcoef- is a post-estimation command that estimates sheaf
coefficients (Heise 1972). A sheaf coefficient assumes that a block of
variables influence the dependent variable through a latent variable.
This assumption is not tested, nor is it testable; a sheaf coefficient
is just a different way of presenting the results from a model. Its
main usefulness is in comparing the relative strength of the influence
of several blocks of variables. For example, say we want to know what
determines the probability of working non-standard hours (evenings,
nights, and weekends) and we have a block of variables representing
characteristics of the job and another block of variables representing
the family situation of the respondent, and we want to say something
about the relative importance of job characteristics versus family
situation. In that case one could estimate a logit model with both
blocks of variables and optionally some other control variables. After
that one can use -sheafcoef- to display the effects of two latent
variables, family background and job characteristics, which are both
standardized to have a standard deviation of 1, and can thus be more
easily compared.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081