st: RE: RE: Fitting the integral of a unknown function

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Fitting the integral of a unknown function
Date   Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:09:25 -0600

For even more accuracy, you can try Gaussian integration. See my presentation on how to implement it in Stata at the 2004 North American Users Group Meeting.

http://ideas.repec.org/s/boc/asug04.html

Al Feiveson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steichen, Thomas J.
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 4:01 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: st: RE: Fitting the integral of a unknown function

You can approximate it by summing over i = 2 to k:  (x[i]-x[i-1]) * (y[i] + y[i-1]) / 2 Where [] indicates a subscript and k is the number of (x,y) pairs.

This is the trapezoid approach where
(x[i]-x[i-1]) is the width of each interval.
(y[i-1] + y[i]) / 2 is the "half-height" of that interval.
The product is the area under that section of the curve.
The sum is the total area.

In simple Stata code:

sort x
gen areaparts = (x[_n]-x[_n-1]) * (y[_n] + y[_n-1]) / 2 egen area = total(areaparts)

Thomas J. Steichen
[email protected]