st: RE: Dataset reorganization

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Dataset reorganization
Date   Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:55:02 -0000

It's a -reshape- from wide to long.

Diego Bellavia

I have a dataset with around 300 variables.
These variables are all "segments" of different "levels". Basically I
have something lik

 ID                             basal_lat middle_lat apex_lat

so that lat is for "lateral" and basal, middle and apex are the levels.
I would like to compare the observations by the different levels so that
I should end up with something like:

groups_segments    ID                  Lateral wall
1                            Obs1              numeric Value (Bas)
1                            Obs2              numeric Value (Bas)
2                            Obs2              num (Mid)
2                            Obs2              num (Mid)
3                            Obs1              num(Apex)
3                            Obs1              num(Apex)

then I could compare the groups by level, with a simple oneway ANOVA, is
that correct ?

Now, is there any quick ay to reorganize the dataset with STATA, instead
of doing that manually ?