Re: st: chi2 test for trend with survey data

From   Steven Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: chi2 test for trend with survey data
Date   Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:58:20 -0500

The chi square test for trend in proportions, due to Armitage, is formally equivalent to a linear regression of the response on the group scores, with a SE for beta based on the null hypothesis. For the closest equivalent in Stata, use -svy: reg- and report the F test result.

By the way: In Stata, the chi square test for trend is implemented in -tabodds-. -nptrend- gives similar results, but accommodates the 0-1 response by adding corrections for tied ranks; it is really intended for continuous data.