Re: st: RE: large numbers in comb(n,k) function: no success

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: large numbers in comb(n,k) function: no success
Date   Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:32:50 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 5/2/09, Maarten buis wrote:
> Looks like you want to calculate a likelihood function. Is
> that right?
> If so, then you can use the fact that you almost always
> maximize the log likelihood, which will alow you to avoid
> taking the exp of lnfactorial.

Some time ago I wrote a short text on how to move from the
probability density function of the beta distribution to
the log-likelihood function in Stata. This contains a
similar problem except that the relevant function in the
beta is the Gamma function instead of the factorial function.
Stata has a -lngamma()- but no -gamma()- function, and this
text shows that for the computation of the likelihood a
-lngamma()- function is much more convenient than a -gamma()-
function. You can find this text at:

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam