Re: st: time efficient way to choose variables

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: time efficient way to choose variables
Date   Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:16:13 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 4/2/09, Hardy, Dale S wrote:
> I have data in which I want to pick out variables associated
> with developing a disease. Each time I run the foreach
> command with the covariates, I cut out the one variable with
> the highest Z value with p value <0.05 <snip>

The short answer is that you should not do this at all. A clear
explanation of the reasons for that can be found here:

If you still insist on doing it wrong then you can take a look
at -help stepwise-.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam