st:compare distribution of a variable across groups

From   Mandy fu <>
Subject   st:compare distribution of a variable across groups
Date   Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:46:01 -0500

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone here could give me some suggestion on
comparing  a variable's distribution across several groups.

I'm going to compare the effect of education on wage rates by racial
groups. Here's what I'm thinking:

step 1.
 I will check the means,standard errors,and ranges of wages by racial groups.
step 2.
 I will check percentile wage rates,like decimal percentile, for each group.

What I'd like to ask is: what is the usual way to compare the
distribution of a variable across several groups? My concern is
that,maybe I  would miss something if only comparing the means or
standard errors of wages. So, I'm curious how most researchers deal
with this .