st: re: total

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: total
Date   Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:09:50 -0500

<>
Martin replied

Your solution amounts to running -total- for each var and
gathering the results in a -matrix-. But what is your take on the underlying question whether a) the default behavior of -total- should be what it is and b) whether there should be a tick box in -db total- which lets me opt out of
the current default behavior?

-total-, like -mean-, -proportion- and -ratio- (which I have not tested) are e-class (estimation) commands, not r-class commands like - summarize-, -ameans- and -correlate- (although for the latter - pwcorr- is a workaround that addresses this issue, and a not very useful one, as it does not leave behind the full r(C)). Although you might like to have an option such as you mention above for -total-, and it would certainly be feasible, note that most e-class commands practice listwise deletion (e.g. -regress-). It is also clear that - total- and friends are meant for use in -svy- context, in which I imagine anything other than listwise deletion would be dangerous. So you can certainly agitate for such an option, but it probably runs afoul of established guidelines for the behavior of e-class commands to do so.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html