Re: st:three-way panel data estimation

From   "Nils Braakmann" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st:three-way panel data estimation
Date   Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:15:15 +0100

Dear Mandy,

there is a command -felsdvreg- (try -search felsdvreg, all-) by Thomas
Cornelißen (see Cornelißen 2006, 2008 for descriptions). My experience
is that it works better (in terms of memory) than e.g. the
spell-fixed-effects-approach described in Andrews, Schank and Upward
(2006). To give an example: I recently had a problem estimting a model
with person, county and time effects with a rather large dataset.
Spell-fixed-effects did not work with roughly 14 GB of memory
allocated, -felsdvreg- worked with about 4 GB.

Best regards,
Nils

Refs.
-------
Andrews, Martyn, Thorsten Schank and Richard Upward, 2006: "Practical
fixed effects estimation methods for the three-way error-components
model", The Stata Journal 6(4), pp. 461-481.
Cornelißen, Thomas, 2006: "Using Stata for a memory saving fixed
effects estimation of the three-way error component model", FDZ
Methodenreport 03/2006, Nuremberg. (see
http://doku.iab.de/fdz/reporte/2006/MR_03-06.pdf)
Cornelißen, Thomas, 2008: "The Stata command felsdvreg to fit a linear
model with two high-dimensional fixed effects", The Stata Journal
8(2), pp. 170-189.