st: RE: deleting duplicate observations by date

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: deleting duplicate observations by date
Date   Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:08:06 -0000

I don't know what -dup- and -duplicated- are. Perhaps Sharoon means
-dups- from SJ and the official Stata command -duplicates-.

Neither command is really applicable. Despite the use of the word
"duplicates" here to describe the problem the observations you want to
-drop- are not _defined_ by being duplicates on -id- or on -date- or on
-price- or on two or three of those.

Other posters have given good solutions, so I need not add more.

Sharooon

I have a data set with the following format:

id      date     price
1       1         400
2       1         500
2       2         450
2       3         450
3       2         600
3       3          .

Where I have multiple id's observed at different dates, and not
necessarily the same date. What I would like, is to delete all but the
most recent date and fill in the price with the most recent price
observed.

For example:

id     date   price
1        1     400
2        3     450
3        3     600

Any clues on how to do this? I've played around with dup and duplicated
but still haven't found anything.