st: analyzing paired choice data with asclogit!

From   Carena J Vanriper <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: analyzing paired choice data with asclogit!
Date   Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:54:58 -0500

Hello fellow statlisters:

I am seeking advice on an analysis of paired choice data measured via a public survey. A fractional factorial design was used to generate the paired choice experiment - 6 attributes, each with 3 levels; main effects only design. The 18 choice set design was blocked into two survey versions so that each respondent was asked to evaluate 9 paired choice sets. Survey versions were administered randomly.

The form of the data are as in the matrix below, with:
ID = respondent ID
QS = paired choice set ID
Scenario = 1 for option A, 2 for option B in choice set
Attribute 1 = value (level) of attribute 1 in corresponding option
Attribute 2 = value (level) of attribute 2 in corresponding option
.
.
.
Attribute 6 = value (level) of attribute 6 in corresponding option

Thus, for each respondent, there are 18 rows of data ? one row for each option of each of the 9 paired choice sets. Because I have repeated measures (i.e., multiple choice set observations from each respondent), I estimated a conditional logit (panel data estimator) using the clogit command. However, I am seeking clarification and guidance as to whether the clogit or the asclogit is the more appropriate analysis procedure for my data, given that they include multiple observations from individual respondents and are formatted such that each choice set observation is entered as two rows of data that should be processed together.

ID QS  Scenario  Choice  Attribute 1 Att 2 Att 3 Att 4 Att 5 Att 6
1  1   1         1       1           1     1     1     1     1
1  1   2         1       2           1     3     1     2     1
1  2   1         0       1           1     1     3     2     2
1  2   2         1       2           2     2     2     1     3
1  3   1         0       1           2     1     1     1     1
1  3   2         1       1           1     3     1     2     2
1  4   1         1       3           3     1     2     1     1
1  4   2         0       1           1     2     2     1     2
1  5   1         1       1           2     1     3     3     3
1  5   2         1       3           3     3     1     2     2
1  6   1         0       2           1     1     3     2     1
1  6   2         0       1           3     3     1     1     3
1  7   1         1       1           3     2     2     1     3
1  7   2         1       2           2     1     3     3     2
1  8   1         0       3           2     3     2     3     3
1  8   2         0       1           1     2     1     2     1
1  9   1         1       2           3     1     1     1     3
1  9   2         1       1           2     1     3     2     1

Thanks,
-Carena