st: RE: Issue with log file

From   Howard Lempel <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Issue with log file
Date   Fri, 9 Jan 2009 14:07:07 -0500

Tu,

I have seen folks with a similar problem.  It is possible that Stata is outputting your log files as text, as it should, but your computer is set up to recognize files with the .log extension as SAS log files.  Try creating a text log file.  I assume you're using Windows, as I don't have much experience with Macs.  Right click on the log file and choose "open with."  Choose a text editor (e.g. wordpad or notepad).  See if this does what you want.  If you've already tried this, then I'm stumped.

Hope this helps.
Howie

Howie Lempel
Research Assistant
The Brookings Institution | Economic Studies

1775 Massachusetts Ave NW | Washington DC 20036
[email protected] | p: (202) 238-3576

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tu Nguyen
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 2:00 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Issue with log file

Hello,

Could anyone please help me resolve this issue:

In STATA when I try to create a log file using the command -- log using filename.log -- a SAS log file is automatically created (I have both SAS and STATA installed in my computer). In brief, it seems that only a smcl log file could be created in STATA, but not a text log file.

What should I do to fix this problem?

Thank you,
Tu Nguyen