Re: st: re: Problems importing a (Mac) stata output file into MySql

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: re: Problems importing a (Mac) stata output file into MySql
Date   Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:47:03 -0600

On Jan 8, 2009, at 9:51 AM, Anne Tate wrote:
Actually, now I think of it I also have problems viewing the do files using e.g the unix more command. Is there an easy way I can convert the format of these too?

If you're working in OS X, it's best just to standardize on Unix EOLs for all text files. Your first email indicated that you use TextMate as your editor (good choice, BTW); its default is to save with Unix eols, so any do-files you create with it should be fine. If you have existing do-files containing Mac Classic (CR) or Windows (CR-LF) EOLs, just open them in TextMate, choose "Save As...", and use the pop-up menu in the resulting dialog to change the line endings to Unix. If you have lots of files you want to convert in batch, there are scads of little utilities out there to do this. If you want, I can send you a Python script to do it.

-- Phil

P.S. As an alternative when moving data from Stata to an SQL database, you might want to take a look at -tosql- (type -findit tosql-). Kit wrote this a while back, and it works very nicely.