RE: st: RE: saving local macros

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: saving local macros
Date   Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:56:02 -0000

This isn't clear to me either. There is no "using the macros and the
dataset to print the output" independently of code containing the
macros.

My comment on payment was facetious, if not rhetorical. I am sorry you
didn't realise that.

However, I do feel much more reluctance to help other people develop
code that is going to be not only private but proprietary. Why should I
do that? I would much rather feel that in principle I was contributing
to something easily accessible. Stata isn't incompatible with users
writing Stata code for private or institutional gain, clearly, but
Statalist does function best when closest to full and free exchange of
information.

As for my own work, I regard putting ideas, discussion and tested code
in the public domain as one of the best things I can do for my
university. It's an obligation of mine to spread my work!

As far as your problem is concerned, I think you are in a cleft stick of
your own devising, as the secrecy you feel compelled to seek prevents
you making really clear in Stata terms what your problem is.

These are personal views. Others must speak for themselves.

Ashim Kapoor

Hi Nick,

I don't think I was clear. Here is what I do :
1. Run sometests and produce local macros and a small output dataset.
2. Use the macros and dataset to print the output.

so (2) is ALL I want any1 to see. I am not worried about encrypting
the local macros, only that I can't let anyone else see the do file i
am running to produce my macro.

Is'nt is much easier to save the macros / save the dataset and send it
to someone to see the output whethere in HTML or smcl.
Why risk someone decrypting my file ?

It's not even my IDEA, I just program it but I don't think my boss
will like it if i put it on the internet.

Is'nt everyone who comes to this list  working for a company or a
university ? Would'nt their university be really upset if they gave
out their bosses unpublished work on the internet and fire them on the
spot ? Do those people pay for these services  ? Oh, A small number of
times I have answered questions, should I expect to be paid for that ?

Thank you,
Ashim.