RE: st: RE: saving local macros

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: saving local macros
Date   Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:18:54 -0000

Sorry, Ashim, but I really don't understand your comments here.

First off, local macros are useless unless used in some code. Whether
that use is interactive, via a do file, or via a program is up to you.

If you want to be absolutely sure that certain collaborators, and only
those collaborators, see that code, then you need to send it encrypted.
That would apply to a do file or a program, and does not _itself_ rule
out do files.

Second, saving macros in the data file runs into the same issues. You
would need to encrypt that too, as any Stata user with the same version
could in principle read your data file too.

In short, wanting absolute security seems to me orthogonal to all other
details here.

For myself, I always remember what Howard Aiken said. Don't worry about
people stealing your ideas; if they're any good, you will have to ram
them down their throats.

P.S. If you are developing proprietary code, why do you expect free
help? Shouldn't you offer to pay us?

Ashim Kapoor

Well in my opinion the do file won't do. Simply because the 1st half
of my code is proprietary, I dont wnat any1 to see it. I do wnat them
to USE the local macros / dataset at the end of the 1st half. Maybe I
am more clear now.