RE: st: new string variable which has the formatted value of a variable

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: new string variable which has the formatted value of a variable
Date   Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:14:23 -0000

-tostring- is objecting because -real("28feb2008")- does not yield

That objection is irrelevant for your purposes, so you should just add
the -force- option.

Do please notice that I didn't recommend using -tostring-; I recommended
using -string()- directly.

I don't follow your argument about HTML but I will not comment further
on that. It is really is impossible to discuss what you are doing when
the description of your code is merely "it".

Ashim Kapoor

hi Nick,

Thank you for your email.

I need it to be a string because I want it to be output to HTML. If
the orginal variables is 17590 and display something like " Sep 6
1990" it is useless as when i try writing that variable to an HTML
code it will write 17590 and not Sep 6 1990 which is what I want.

gen k=17590
. format %td k

. l

  1. | 28feb2008 |
  2. | 28feb2008 |
  3. | 28feb2008 |
  4. | 28feb2008 |
  5. | 28feb2008 |

. tostring(k) ,format(%td) gen(j)
k cannot be converted reversibly; no generate

This fails. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,