Statalist


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: st: new string variable which has the formatted value of a variable


From   "Nick Cox" <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: new string variable which has the formatted value of a variable
Date   Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:14:23 -0000

-tostring- is objecting because -real("28feb2008")- does not yield
17590. 

That objection is irrelevant for your purposes, so you should just add
the -force- option. 

Do please notice that I didn't recommend using -tostring-; I recommended
using -string()- directly. 

I don't follow your argument about HTML but I will not comment further
on that. It is really is impossible to discuss what you are doing when
the description of your code is merely "it". 

Nick 
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk 

Ashim Kapoor

hi Nick,

Thank you for your email.

I need it to be a string because I want it to be output to HTML. If
the orginal variables is 17590 and display something like " Sep 6
1990" it is useless as when i try writing that variable to an HTML
code it will write 17590 and not Sep 6 1990 which is what I want.

gen k=17590
. format %td k

. l

     +-----------+
     |         k |
     |-----------|
  1. | 28feb2008 |
  2. | 28feb2008 |
  3. | 28feb2008 |
  4. | 28feb2008 |
  5. | 28feb2008 |
     +-----------+

. tostring(k) ,format(%td) gen(j)
k cannot be converted reversibly; no generate

This fails. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,
Ashim.
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Using -tostring- would be convenient for several variables, and it
> certainly supports a -format()- option. (I am not clear why Jeph
appears
> uncertain on that.)
>
> But a lower-level route appears closer to what Ashim wants. That uses
> the two-argument flavour of -string(,)-.
>
> To detect what format a variable has you go
>
> local fmt: format mynumvar
> gen svar = string(mynumvar, "`fmt'")
>
> Thus no magic is needed, just willingness to read the documentation.
>
> I don't understand why a string variable is needed here. Once a date
has
> been displayed in SMCL whether it came from a numeric variable or a
> string variable is immaterial, but that is a separate issue.
>
> Nick
> n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk
>
> Jeph Herrin
>
> I think -tostring- will work with the -format()- option.
> Or, if you want to call mata you can use -sprintf()-.
>
>
> Ashim Kapoor wrote:
>
>> This is great. Will do part of what I what . I still need the magic
>> command to do magic on dates.
>
>> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Neil Shephard <nshephard@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> Not sure about dates, but for your second example you can do the
> following....
>>>
>>> gen str magicj = string(round(j, .01))
>>>

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/



© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   What's new   |   Site index