RE: st: data management - string function

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: data management - string function
Date   Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:28:28 +0000

Dear all,

Howie - Initially I thought regexm, regexr etc are Stata 9 &/or Stata 10 string function since they are not documented in Stata 8 [R] but after trying it out on Stata 8.2, well they did do what they set out to do, which unfortunately not what I was looking for.

Neil - I thought your suggestion ought to work but it returned "type mismatch r(109)" error message.

Ashim - I understand your step wise approach, which did eventually get to where i wanted (for both doing away with the titles and subsequent gender creation).

Sergeiy - Yes, if i had any say in desgining the 'dastardly' chalice (data) given to me, believe me I would have ensured the data  collected and collated would be with the view of making analyzing and analysis as painless (and headaches less) as possible.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Regards,
bw