RE: st: testing equality of proportions?

From   "Anderson, Bradley" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: testing equality of proportions?
Date   Mon, 5 Jan 2009 16:04:20 -0500

The z-test for equality of two independent proportions is is equal to the square root(Pearson chi-square test for independence in the corresponding 2 x 2 table).  The tests are equivlent and both assume a sufficiently large sample.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Lachenbruch, Peter
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 3:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: testing equality of proportions?

If you do a correlation with one variable a dichotomy, the significance test for the correlation is equivalent to a t-test.  I haven't worked out the mathematics, but I assume that the chi-squared test is equivalent.  If X is categorical, the math will still work, but the test may not mean much.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University