st: R: Survival Analysis Comparing Younger and Older

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: Survival Analysis Comparing Younger and Older
Date   Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:31:42 +0100

Dear Jason,
at a very first blush your procedure seems reasonable, provided that your
choice is to adopt a non parametric approach (such as KM) in survival
analysis (SA).

By the way, I have two remarks about your research approach:

What if a subject die during the observation time for whatever reason
different from the injury itself? Do you consider it a right-censored
observation?

Besides, is there any way to reduce the number of injuried workers as a
result of a "on the job safety training" programme (ie, is a turning point
detectable)? Should the answer be positive, you would be probably more
comfortable with a semiparamentric Cox model (please see for a detailed
example and many other interesting stuff about SA topics, Cleves MA, Gould
WW, Gutierrez RG: An Introduction to Survival Analysis using Stata. Revised
edition. College Station: Stata Press, 2004: 160-162).

Kind Regards and Alkl the Best for the just started New Year,
Carlo