RE: st: regression with dependent variable ranging from 0 to 1

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: regression with dependent variable ranging from 0 to 1
Date   Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:19:22 -0600

Andrea -

Are n and N counts? What range of values do they take on? Can n be
thought of as a binomial sample from N? Then try -glm- as before but
using n as the dependent variable, not G or H.  Still, clustering on
firms, should probably be taken into account. Perhaps this can be done
using -xtlogit- on a 0-1 variable that sums to n.

Al F.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Andrea
Rispoli
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:06 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: regression with dependent variable ranging from 0 to 1

I typed:
glm  depvar indepvar1 indepvar2... indepvarn, link(logit) robust nolog

when I tried

glm  depvar indepvar1 indepvar2... indepvarn,  link(logit)
family(binomial) robust nolog
I got
"note: depvar has noninteger values"

Actually, the great majority of my data are zeros: 204581 over 213000
observation. What do you mean exactly with "model separately"?

Austin:
Sorry, I gave a wrong information: this is actually 1-H, that is why I
have several 0s Let me say it more in detail:
Dep var = Log(1+G)
where G=1-H and  H=S(n/N)^2 (an Herfindahl index)

I have 0 for all the cases in which H=1 and for all the cases in which n
and N=0

Al:
no clustering variable, but indeed I have 10 observations for each firm
(I use dummies for dealing with this) and indeed some indep variables
have the same values for all the 10 obs and sometimes the depvar is the
same for some of the 10 obs

Thank you!