Re: st: Polynomial OLS

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Polynomial OLS
Date   Thu, 25 Dec 2008 16:06:48 +0000 (GMT)

--- Claude Francoeur <> wrote:
> We are doing a polynomial OLS. An explanatory term is squared and
> cubed to account for non linearity of the association with the
> dependent variable. We also took the natural log of these variables
> to mitigate multicolinearity. We are getting significant
> coefficients. <snip> Is our approach valid?

It is unusual. If you care about multicollinearity of polynomial terms
you are better of using -orthpoly- (see -help orthpoly-). This results
in a model that is equivalent to a regular polynomial regression
whereas your model is not equivalent to a polynomial regression.

If you primarily care about whether or not the effect is non-linear
rather than polynomial, then you are probably better of with other more
flexible parameterizations. I am much more a fan of splines to
represent non-linear relationships (see: -help mkspline-), while others
like fractional polynomials (see: -help fracpoly- and -help mfp-)

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081