Re: st: data management - string function

From   "Ashim Kapoor" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: data management - string function
Date   Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:07:39 +0530

About your 2nd query.

Step 1 : gen gender = word(var1,1)

Then do

replace gender="F" if gender=="Mrs"
replace gender="F" if gender=="Ms"
replace gender="M" if gender=="Mr"
replace gender="M" if gender=="Mrs"

Trouble , what if you have Mr. ( notice the dot ) in place of Mr

So we do

replace gender="F" if gender=="Mrs."
replace gender="F" if gender=="Ms."
replace gender="M" if gender=="Mr."