Re: st: not sure about my loop results

From   "Gabi Huiber" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: not sure about my loop results
Date   Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:19:34 -0500

I'm not sure what your data structure is, but I assume that you have
one observation per respondent, respondents can have between 0 and 11
be missing.

The line

gen agesib1=2006-yearsib1 if yearsib1!=.

will do two things. First, it will generate the variable agesib1 if
the variable yearsib1 exists, and it will produce an error "yearsib1
not found" otherwise, thanks to your inline "if". Second, it will
produce missing values if the variable yearsib1 exists, but some of
its values are missing. Your inline "if", however, has nothing to do
with that. Subtracting a missing from 2006 will produce a missing.
That's the default behavior.

I don't think that's the job you meant for your "if" to do. Instead, I
think that what you're looking for is a way to generate agesib1 if
yearsib1 exists, and not generate it otherwise (so skip that case,
rather than produce an error message).

I would restate your loop as follows:

forvalues i=1/`n' {
  capture confirm variable yearsib`i'
  if _rc==0 {
    gen agesib`i'=2006-yearsib`i'
  }
}

In other words, check first if yearsib`i' exists; if it does, produce
a variable named agesib`i'.

If there is no chance that any of your yearsib variables are missing,
then the loop above is even simpler, and there's no "if" involved --
inline or otherwise:

forvalues i=1/`n' {
  gen agesib`i'=2006-yearsib`i'
}

This really is all there is to it. You will get ages of siblings as
intended, for all respondents for whom you have siblings with a
non-missing year of birth.

Gabi