RE: st: RE: gen newvar satisfying two conditions

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: gen newvar satisfying two conditions
Date   Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:57:47 -0000

Not quite. The original request from bw to me implies

gen hadsx = cond(plannedsx == "yes" | emergsx == "yes", "yes", "no")

if you want to keep things all string. Note that _either_ planned _or_
emergency surgery implies | (or), not & (and).

Martin's implication that you should want numeric variables with value
labels will be correct sooner or later. For that,

1abel def yesno 1 "yes" 0 "no"
encode plannedsx, gen(n_plannedsx) label(yesno)
encode emergsx, gen(n_emergsx) label(yesno)

is one way to proceed.

There are many hybrid approaches. For example

gen byte hadsx = (plannedsx == "yes") | (emergsx == "yes")

gen byte hadsx = max((plannedsx == "yes"), (emergsx == "yes"))

both have numeric result.

b. water

martin, thanks, your one liner works.

> For the first step, try -encode-. The third one sounds like -recode-
> me...
> Of course you could also just
> gen byte hadsx= plannedsx==1 & emergsx==1
> after -encode-ing...

b. water