st: scientific notation in tables

From   "Norbert Michel" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: scientific notation in tables
Date   Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:58:54 -0600

Hello all.

I am using population weights to calculate aggregate figures, which results in fairly large numbers (hundreds of millions).

I need to sum columns (variable totals for all observations), and I have tried using a few different summary stat commands, but I keep running into the same problem.

My problem is that STATA is displaying everything (in the tables) in scientific notation; that would be fine, but when I copy and paste into Excel, I lose all of the detail.  For example, 305,423,221 gets rounded to 305,000,000....and this is not fine.

I have changed the formatting for how the variable is displayed in stata, and also for how the variable is stored in stata.  Neither has changed the output that I end up with in the result tables.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.
Norbert Michel