st: RE: estwrite error r(603)

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: estwrite error r(603)
Date   Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:49:20 -0000

Given that

. error 603
file could not be opened

my guess is that you should consider the problem to lie in your portable
set-up, and not in -estwrite-, despite your last sentence.

Carl Nelson

I experienced a file open error with estwrite and am wondering if
someone can explain the cause or a fix.

estwrite works fine when I write to a folder in my documents on the c
drive on my laptop.

but it generates r(603) when I try to write to a folder on a western
digital passport portable hd connected to a usb port. Stata has no
problem reading data or writing logs to the portable hd.