Re: st: graphs

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graphs
Date   Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:54:14 -0600

What is the modeling framework? It sounds like you are running a hierarchical linear model (or mixed model) given that you mentioned panel and time. Have you investigated how others have graphically represented the effect so such models? I typically see trellis type plots for HLM graphics. It doesn't really sound to me like you want a rotating scatterplot is really going to help, although the JMP bubbleplots showing change over time are pretty cool.

-Dave

On Dec 15, 2008, at 10:27 AM, Victor, Jennifer Nicoll wrote:

Thanks Nick and David. I played around with the mrunning command a bit. Unfortunately, it does not seem able to show how the data vary across time for two variables with respect to the DV. I had hoped to find a way to put this all on one graph. It seems David suggestion of doing this in R is perhaps my only path.

To give you an example of what I'm trying to accomplish.... I have a dependent variable that is a measure of policy specialization for a panel of members of Congress across 34 years. I want to show how their rates of specialization vary depending on (1) whether they sought higher office AND (2) the relative difference in demographics between their district and their state (such as the % of blacks). The only way I can think to show all this on one graph is with a 3-D graph. I guess that means using s-plus or R.

Jennifer Nicoll Victor
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science
University of Pittsburgh
4600 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
(412) 624-7204
E-mail:  [email protected]
Homepage:  http://www.pitt.edu/~jnvictor

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected] ] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:11 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: graphs

I meant -mrunning- from the Stata Journal, as David points out.

Nick Cox

David I think meant not in official Stata.

Jennifer's problem sounds, from another point of view, four- dimensional.

Even if it is, -mrunning- from SSC offers another alternative.

David Airey

No, not in official data.

Often there are two dimension reductions that serve just as well. The -
vibl- package is one example of useful two dimensional plots, where a
3 dimensional plot is a natural choice,
(http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/Stata/seminars/stata_vibl/vibl.pdf
).

But anyway, you have a free alternative in several R packages, such as:

<http://www.statmethods.net/graphs/scatterplot.html>

Commercial packages like JMP 7 or 8 do this kind of plot well. Also
Data Desk 7, but development has stopped on this package.