st: How to know how a global macro was generated: -smr- as an example

From   "Tiago V. Pereira" <>
Subject   st: How to know how a global macro was generated: -smr- as an example
Date   Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:34:58 -0200 (BRST)

Dear all,

Not rarely I almost drive myself crazy because several Stata commands fail
to provide info about the formulations they use to compute
variances/standard errors in their calculations.

I have already claimed that most Stata packages should provide references
on their formulae/and or to point out where we can get detailed info on
the methods implemented.

When no reference is given, I usually open the code and see how it was
calculated, trying to find ou in textbooks similar formulations.

However, in the case of the -smrby- command, which calculates the ratio of
OBSERVED/EXPECTED counts and its confidence intervals, I could not figure
out how the global macros S_1 and S_2 were computed.

Once you can rapidly take a look on the code of the -smr- command, I did
not paste the whole code here for simplicity.

Specifically, I am interested in the following lines:

if _rc==0 {
		_crccip `o' `level'
		local l=100*($S_1/`e')
		local u=100*($S_2/`e')
		local r=100*(`o'/`e')
		local emark ""

I will be really grateful for any tip on how both $S_1 and $S_2 were

All the best,

Tiago Pereira