st: reshape problem

From   "Emanuele Millemaci" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: reshape problem
Date   Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:27:21 +0100

Hi,

I had a dataset on excel with regions on the rows and years on the columns.
I moved this data to Stata 10.1 MP(updated to the latest packages) and
was trying to reshaping from wide to long as I would like to have all
years' data of the same variable on the same column.

Below, I report an example of what I have:

regio prod1995 prod1996 .....prod2006

1         ....             ...            ...
2          ...             ...            ...
3         ...              ...            ...
4         ...             ...            ...

I would like to get:

regio years    prod
1      1995    ...
1      1996    ...
..
2      1995    ...
..
3      1995    ...
..
4      1995    ...
..

The command I use is:

reshape long prod, i(regio) j(year)

It would appear a very easy task. Instead, the result I get is always
different (every time I launch the command) and never correct.
Stata drops many observations and many others become missing for some
variable (whereas my dataset has no missing value). I have also
checked that Stata considers data as numeric.

Thanks in advance,

Emanuele