Re: st: Re: two questions about the shell command behavior -- Windows XP

From   "Gabi Huiber" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: two questions about the shell command behavior -- Windows XP
Date   Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:27:20 -0500

Nick and Martin, thank you.

Nick's advice to just use forward slashes, in the last paragraph of
the article that Martin referenced, is actually older. I'm not sure
how old, but I'm sure it's from him that I heard it first. I've been
both heeding it and passing it along to others for a couple of years
now at least. That's not the issue.

The issue is this: assuming that you use Windows XP (no idea how other
operating systems would behave) try and have Stata do the do-file that
I embedded in my first message. You can pick a file on your own
computer, declare its home folder as `from_path' and the folder you
want it to go to as `to_path' and give it a try. You will see that the
first !move has no consequences: dir will show that the `move_this'
file is still in the `from_path' folder.

This, I reasoned, was evidence that Windows did not receive the
content of either the first macro -- `from_path' -- or that of the
second -- `move_this' -- or neither. So I tried another variant, where
the file path was declared as a macro, and the file name was instead
spelled out. That one worked. So Stata passes along to the Windows
shell the content of the file path macro in both instances -- both
`from_path' and `to_path' -- but not the content of the file name
macro.

That is strange because, as everyone expects, inside Stata you can
string along as many macros as you want -- either by concatenating
them or by nesting them. That's the gist of (1): I have no idea why
the content of one local macro is passed along to the shell as
expected, while the other is lost.

Thanks again,

Gabi