SV: st: Survey - raking - calibration - post stratification - calculating weights

From   "Kristian Wraae" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   SV: st: Survey - raking - calibration - post stratification - calculating weights
Date   Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:40:16 +0100

Hi Steve

The 5000 men were randomly drawn using the Danish CPR register which is a
database containing all Danish citizens. Everybody is assigned a unique
10-digit number making it possible to select people 100% at random.

The number has the form DDMMYY-vxyz with DDMMYY being date of birth. Z an
equal number for women and unequal for men.

The 5000 men were selected in a way that they reflected the back ground
population regarding age and zip code.

They were aged 60 to 74 years at the date of data acquisition.

So the information we have on the 5000 men is 100% accurate and they are a
100% match for the back ground population but the only information was age
and zip code.

The questionnaire we mailed to the 5000 men contained a lot of information.

For the 3750 who filled out the questionnaire we know all chronic diseases
on ICD10 codes, all medication on ATC codes, partner status, level of
education, job situation, housing, smoking habits, physical activity,
height, weight, number of children, sexual problems.

The study is a cross sectional study examining androgens and relations to
body composition, health status, life style, quality of life, sexual
dysfunction, physical performance, genetics etc.

You can see a PowerPoint file with the inclusion procedure here:
www.euphonium.dk/Inclusion.ppt

I sought equal numbers in each group in order not to end up with too few
people amongst the eldest. I wanted a good representation in all age strata
since we wanted to be able to make reference intervals for the different
androgens for healthy 60-74 year olds and because we mainly investigate
associations and we are not primarily interested in the distribution in the
back ground population. But I'd like to be able to make some estimates. As
an example I'd like to know the prevalence of erectile dysfunction in the
back ground population or estimate the prevalence of hypogonadism or
diabetes using the data from the 600 very thoroughly examined men.

If you can help me I'll be very grateful

Best regards
Kristian Wraae