Re: st: Re: Running a foreach loop over a sequence of dates

From   "Augusto Cadenas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Running a foreach loop over a sequence of dates
Date   Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:49:28 -0500

Thanks, Martin and Michael, both for your hints and for the exegetic
exercise on my words, which I found amusing.

-rolling- seems to be doing the job I want, especially if combined
with "[r]recursive". The problem I see there is that I can perform
only one command within the "frame" of this rolling window, not a
series of commands (like postestimation commands), as I was thinking
of when specifying it as a loop.

That's why I agree with Michael's points, and I find your solution,
Martin, to use a loop beforehand to fill a -local- with the desired
end dates very promising.

@ Martin: I did not really care about what kind of list, I was indeed
just trying to explain my goal in pseudo-code. So am I allowed to
rephrase my suggestion before, inventing a new type of list, call it
"timelist"? That would have been my dream (and to all German readers:
please note the "pseudo" in "pseudo-code"):

*** begin pseudo-code
foreach t of timelist 1992q1/2000q4 {
      reg y L.y L.x if tin(1960q1, `t')
}
*** end pseudo-code

Best, and thanks again! AC

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Martin Weiss <[email protected]> wrote:
> BTW, Augusto did not even pretend that his was a -numlist-; if he had
> thought it was one, he would have said something like "...of numlist
> blabla". His example looks like "any_list" in the -h foreach- parlance. He
> could of course use a loop beforehand to fill a -local- with the desired end
> dates and use that in the -foreach- ...
>
> HTH
> Martin
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Hanson" <[email protected]>