st: problem with dividing dataset into equally sized groups

From   Gisella Young <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: problem with dividing dataset into equally sized groups
Date   Tue, 2 Dec 2008 06:28:41 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to divide my dataset into equally sized groups on the basis of an income variable (eg 100 groups from lowest to highest income). I have tried several methods but the groups are not equally sized. For example,

-xtile cat=income, n(100)-
 (similarly with pctile)
and
-sumdist income, n(100) qgp(cat)-

It produces the desired number of groups but they are not equally sized. (Which I see by looking at the frequencies when I say -tab cat- thereafter). The differences are not small - some groups are many times larger than others. This is not because of weighting as I have tried even without weights. It is also not related to the size of groups. I wonder whether it might be because of clustering of incomes around certain values (e.g. 10 000, 15 000) and all of those values being lumped into certain categories.

Can anyone suggest a way to partition the sample into equally sized groups?

This actually stems from an earlier thread (but no need to read that for the above) about plotting a chart of income distribution with the occupational composition of each percentile. Austin's suggestion (below) comes close to that. However, even with his code the groups are not equally sized, but they are sized the same as when I use the sumdist or xtile commands mentioned above.

best,
Gisella