st: Time to read in data with use/using

From   "sdm1" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Time to read in data with use/using
Date   Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:08:22 -0000

I'm using Stata 10.1 MP4 with a 64 bit Windows OS and a Citrix Presentation
Server v4.

If I select one variable from a large dataset ('use vara using filename') it
takes Stata 37 minutes to read in the data (vara).

If I save this one variable to a file and then read in this file (vara.dta)
it takes less than 15 seconds to be read in.

I thought that 'use vara using filename' meant that only vara would be read
in.  But if so, why does it take so much longer to read in the same data
when it is extracted from a larger file than when it is in a file on its
own?

Thanks.