st: problem with delimit ; and // comenting

From   mario fiorini <>
To   <>
Subject   st: problem with delimit ; and // comenting
Date   Mon, 1 Dec 2008 04:32:24 +0000

Dear all, if I use a delimiter ; to end my lines a following comment line beginning with // has to be preceded by a space, otherwise Stata will return an error message.

By searching the Statalist I found another user reporting this problem back in 2004, see so I was a bit puzzled that Stata 10 (my version) has not fixed it yet and does not even indicate it in the comment HELP. Is this a bug or is there a way to get around the problem?

It's simple! Sell your car for just $40 at