Re: st: significance of mean and median

From   Steven Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: significance of mean and median
Date   Sun, 30 Nov 2008 10:54:34 -0500

Maarten, The two-sided significance level is OK, but the one-sided levels are not.

Add to your program
return scalar t = r(t)

and to the do-file

gen sig_p = p<.05 & sign(t) == 1
gen sig_n = p<.05 & sign(t) == -1

On Nov 26, 2008, at 1:48 PM, Maarten buis wrote:

--- "Lachenbruch, Peter" <> wrote:
In general, I've found that bad skewness/asymmetry messes up
significance tests more than heavy tails.  I know I read this
somewhere long ago, and it seems to work pretty well.

Interesting, I tried this using a simulation where I use a t-test on a
chi-square distribution with 3 degrees of freedom, which is quite
skewed, but the t-test seems to perform just fine:

*----------------- begin example -------------
set more off

capture program drop sim
program define sim, rclass