re: st: comments on replying to lists

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: comments on replying to lists
Date   Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:17:59 -0500

< >
Maarten said

I don't think that that is a good idea. I like to keep answering
questions on Stata out of the personal sphere. I am no consultant and I
have no intention to be one, but if I have some time to spare I am
willing give my 5 cents worth. I find that by responding on the list
instead of personally I keep those two worlds separate.

I would echo Maarten's sentiments. A number of people contact me directly, and I often either (a) reply to them and post to the list, or (b) tell them they should ask the question on the list. One thing that should be evident is that if you want the most rapid response to your question, asking an individual (who may be on holiday, asleep, at work actually working rather than reading Statalist, etc.) rather than the list is inefficient. There are correspondents on the list in almost every time zone, and a question posed at an inconvenient hour in your time zone may evoke an answer for someone who is in the middle of their day. Likewise, my Sunday is Sydney's or Tokyo's Monday...

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html