Re: st: Question about options of "xtreg, re"

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Question about options of "xtreg, re"
Date   Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:50:12 +0000 (GMT)

--- Lian <> wrote:
> And I am running a xtreg, re. I need to suppress the intercept.
> However Stata 10 doesn't allow this option. Is there a rationale for
> this ?

I always think of random effects a way of estimating for each group a
separate intercept in terms of a deviation from the intercept reported
in the main table by -xtreg, re-. (These intercepts aren't estimated
directly, but are represented as a distribution.) Given this way of
thinking about a random effects model, I would be very reluctant to
suppress the intercept.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam