Re: st: Panel data manipulation

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Panel data manipulation
Date   Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:46:21 +0000 (GMT)

--- "s.afcha" <> wrote:
> I'm working with a panel data and I have a little question.
> I have observations for firms' R&D expenditures for 8 years.
> I would  like to keep observations for all that  firms that performs
> or has performed R&D during at least one year (R&D expenditures>0 for
> at least one year).

assuming the firms are identified by a variable called firmid and R&D
expenditure by a variable called rdexp:

bys firmid: egen totrdexp = total(rdexp)
gen byte nord = totrdexp == 0

This creates a dummy which has value 1 when the firm never did any R&D
expenditure (or if that firm has only missing values on the variable
rdexp) and 0 when it did at least during one year some R&D expenditure.
Later you can either drop if nord == 1 or do your analysis with the
addition of -if nord == 0-

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam