st: Re: Mac OS X: Make Spotlight search do-files

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Mac OS X: Make Spotlight search do-files
Date   Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:47:54 -0500

On Nov 24, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Steven Samuels wrote:
>  These steps work at least in OS X 10.4.11. Can someone test them
> in 10.5?

Phil Schumm informed me that in OS X 10.5, Spotlight searches do-
files without any modification.

-Steve

> -
>

> My do files are text files, with extension ?.do?.  I usually search
> for text snippests from within my text editor, so  I only recently
> realized that the do-files were not being searched by Spotlight,
> the OS X search application. Nor were  do-files created by Stata's
> do-file editor  searched.  Phil Schumm wrote about this a few years
> ago (http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-11/msg01047.html),
> but didn't have a solution at that time.
>
> Here are the steps I took to make all do-files searchable. These
> steps work at least in OS X 10.4.11. Can someone test them in 10.5?
>
> 1. Identify the do-files to Spotlight , as detailed in the
> following post:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg01683.html
>
> You will need to modify a system file, so be sure to first make a
> copy of it.
>
> Notes:
> 1.1 The Spotlight Folder referred to in the post is inside the
> Library Folder of the root folder named "System", visible if you
> double click on the your main hard drive. (There is another
> Spotlight Folder inside the root Library Folder; ignore it.)
>
> 1.2. In OS X 10.4.11, the Spotlight file type for the do files is
> ?com.stata.stata?.
>
> 2. Force Spotlight to re-index your hard drive, as follows: (Quoted
> from: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13123)
>
> "Have Spotlight reindex the entire computer. Do it at night before
> you go to bed -- it'll be done when you wake up. Here's the command
> line way to do it:
>
> Step 1: Open Terminal.app
>
> Step 2: Type in: sudo mdutil -E /
>
> Step 3: You'll be prompted for the admin password. Enter it. "
>

> -Steve
>
> -246-0774

18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties, NY 12477