st: Re: Reshape related

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Reshape related
Date   Sat, 22 Nov 2008 23:19:21 +0100

Remember when you -generate- you add a whole column to your dataset which may or may not be what you want. Sometimes it is preferable to just -generate newvar=.- and then add values by -replace newvar=5 in 1- and so on. Apart from this general advice, you are not looking for a "function" but for the -if- qualifier, as far as I can tell from your description of your problem. See -h if-

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kir1" <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:12 PM
Subject: st: Reshape related

Hi All,

Perhaps the subject line is not the best one to address my problem,
but here it is:

My original data set is of the 'long' format like this

gvkey    year      revenue
1000     1999    111
1000     2000    222
1001   1999       888

From this I want to retrieve only one value of revenue per 'gvkey'
which corresponds to a year value that i lookup in a different
database. So if in the other data base my gvkey is 1000 and lookupyear
is 2000, then only 222 should be in the revenue cell of the final

I can think of numerous inelegant ways to do this using Excel. But the
most elegant solution would be (i think) something like this.

step 1: reshape to wide: so the data now looks like this
gvkey revenue1999 revenue2000.....
1000  111                  222
1001   888

step 2: gen singlerev = the value contained in the cell whose name is
("revenue" +"lookupyear")

The problem I have is finding the function that does this:" the value
contained in the cell whose name is ("revenue" +"lookupyear") )

Any help is appreciated. Any simpler way to do this is even more appreciated.