st: Re: Modified Question: Manipulating an Unbalanced Panel

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Modified Question: Manipulating an Unbalanced Panel
Date   Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:52:23 +0100

Try -h statsby-

Martin _______________________ ----- Original Message ----- From: "ippab ippab" <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:25 AM
Subject: st: Modified Question: Manipulating an Unbalanced Panel

Hello All,

I just realized that I can generate a variable with the number of
panels with the following command: by  PanelNumber: gen CountSessions
= _N .

But, in my data, there is another variable which indicates if that
observation has any positive consumption.  I actually need to count
the number of positive consumptions for each panel.  There are
sessions without any consumption.  For example, I used "by
PanelNumber: gen CountSessions = _N   if  consumption>0".  This is
wrong because this gives CountSessions =2 even if a panel has one
session (observation) with positive consumption  and one session
(observation) without any consumption.

I found that the following command gives me the right output on the
screen: "by  PanelNumber: count   if  consumption>0".   However, I
don't know how to generate a variable to capture the output for the
command:  "by PanelNumber: count   if  consumption>0".  I would really
appreciate some help with this.

Thanks in advance!