RE: st: Create a normalized variable

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   RE: st: Create a normalized variable
Date   Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:19:41 +0000 (GMT)

--- Nick Cox <> wrote:
> Roughly speaking, my experience is that natural scientists
> (physicists, biologists, etc.) are more likely to take normalised as
> meaning scaled to [0, 1], far more commonly by
> (value - min) / (max - min) than by percentile ranks. The more
> statistics you know, the more likely you are to regard
> (value - mean) / sd as a natural standardisation.

The funny thing is that (value - mean) / sd scores are often
interpreted in terms of percentile ranks: a value of -2 can usually be
considered small because, if the variable is reasonable close to a
Gaussian distribution, one would expect that approximately 2.5% of the
respondent would have a smaller value (and thus 97.5% of the
respondents to have a larger value). That looks suspiciously like a
percentile rank to me... This is one of the reasons why I think that
there is quite some merit in using percentile ranks as a form of

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081