st: RE: -graph twoway- and x-axis positioning

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: -graph twoway- and x-axis positioning
Date   Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:39:49 -0000

An Excel-using colleague has asked me how to have the x-axis of a
twoway plot go through zero (or some other number) on the y-axis.

	sysuse auto
	ge y = price - 5000
	* x-axis below all values (default)
	scatter y mpg
	* line through zero; axis labelling and ticks below
	scatter y mpg, yline(0) xscale(noline)
	* ? how to force x-axis through zero ?
I've looked through the [G] manual, and searched the Statalist
archive, but have not yet been able to discover how to do this.  (It's
not necessarily aesthetically desirable, I know, but I have been
presented with the 'challenge'.)
Do you mean you want ticks and x-axis labels superimposed within the
data region? I'd refuse to play, regardless of whether it can be done.

You want the ticks and labels moved into the inner plot region??
Seems like a bad idea, but you could write a little pre-processing
program to accumulate the necessary ticks (lines) and labels (text) in
a local.  Is it worth the effort?
Austin Nichols
The answer to Nick and Austin's opening questions is "yes" -- though I
strongly agree with their additional remarks about the general
undesirability of doing this (as my final sentence hinted).

The background: I am trying to persuade some sceptical colleagues to
change from using Excel for graphics to using Stata for graphics --
for reproducibility and audit trails, in addition to functionality and
'total control'.  I have been given a series of Excel graphs as
'challenges' by these colleagues, including one with this axis
feature.  This is the only thing that has beaten me so far.

Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <>
Director, Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
Survival Analysis using Stata:
Downloadable papers and software:

Learn about the UK's new household panel survey, "Understanding