RE: st: from normal to bimodal distribution

From   Linn Renée Naper <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: from normal to bimodal distribution
Date   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:17:59 +0100

The command from you Maarten works well with regard to generating a new variable with a
bimodal distribution.

I have generated a bimodal variable, one for each observation,
and then added it to the original price.

But, I am still not sure how adding this kind of variable to the original prices will help me
to change the distribution in the way I want to.
At least I haven't yet figured out exactly how this may be done.

I want to "force" the old prices into having a "new distributional shape" with two peaks,
but I do not necessarily want to change the global mean very much. My prices have the
following distribution (in case it may be useful to know in order to comment on this):

  variable |      mean       min       max        sd  variance       p25       p50       p75
       mip |  60.28128  8.918235  776.2332  39.47987   1558.66  36.53056  48.77862  69.81553

I realize that the distribution of the "new prices"
will vary with how I define means and sd of the bimodal variable.

Moreover, the prices will be changed randomly even though the changes are
drawn from a bimodal distribution, so what I might need is some weighting of the observations
in order to get the "shape" that I want.

Alternatively, is there a way to for example redefine the percentiles in an
already existing distribution perhaps? Or in some other way imposing the distributional change
directly to the original data (the original price)?