st: Executing a string representation of a command

From   "E. Paul Wileyto" <>
Subject   st: Executing a string representation of a command
Date   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:25:06 -0500

Dear Statalisters,

Suppose I've done some programming that creates a macro containing a string representation of a command. For example:

. ma list vL
vL: label var EMOID_OA_CR_plac "Emotion ID, Overall Correct Response Count, On Placebo."

How do I now execute that string in a macro as if I had type it in, or had written it explicitly as part of a do-file?

If I search on "execute string" in help, there is no response.

E. Paul Wileyto, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics
Tobacco Use Research Center
School of Medicine, U. of Pennsylvania