RE: st: Conditional multinomial logistic regression again

From   jverkuilen <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Conditional multinomial logistic regression again
Date   Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:11:28 -0500

Yes, there are at least three options in SAS:

(1) proc mdc found in SAS/ETS. There might be other SAS/ETS procs that do it but mdc fits all manner of multinomial choice models.

(2) There is a way to trick the Cox PH program to do it by setting up the data in "super long" format akin to the way Poisson regression can be used to fit a discrete time survival model. It is just a guess but I suspect you'll find an example in the well-known Agresti 2002 categorical book. I know there is an example on Carolyn Anderson's (UIUC Ed Psych/Stat/Psych) web page under her ategorical data class. (Am on handheld so I can't give better references but "the" Google should turn up what you need.)

(3) You can also use proc nlp (in SAS/OR)  to code up the likelihood function.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Elizabeth Allred" <>
Sent: 11/14/2008 11:22 AM
Subject: st: Conditional multinomial logistic regression again

Having gotten no responses to my earlier query (below), I went over to the dark side (SAS) to see what it could/would do. Using proc logistic, I can fit a conditional <binary> logistic (like clogit) and a multinomial logistic (like mlogit) but SAS, too, will not fit a conditional multinomial logistic. SAS says:

NOTE: Conditional logistic regression with polytomous response data is not
      currently supported.

Will it ever be? I'm not a programming I asking for something impossible? Is there no way to do conditional multinomial logistic regression??