st: Mata question

From   "E. Paul Wileyto" <>
Subject   st: Mata question
Date   Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:44:49 -0500

I'm new to Mata, and just testing the waters. As I read through the first of the Mata programming books, it is not transparent to me how you take a macro /"varlist"/ and import the variables as a matrix in Mata. Perhaps it is different in non-interactive mode, but trying to use st_view and st_data interactively seems to require that I have all sorts of punctuation around each of the variable names, punctuation that cannot be preserved and passed on in macroland. Is there a quick way of taking the usual varlist macro and referring to it with st_data?

E. Paul Wileyto, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics
Tobacco Use Research Center
School of Medicine, U. of Pennsylvania