Re: st: Missing values and listing IDs

From   Svend Juul <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Missing values and listing IDs
Date   Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:27:39 +0100

Sham wrote:
I wish to list the ID numbers of those individuals in my
dataset that have at least one missing value out any six
variables (x1-x6). At the moment I have used the following
list responder_status ID if  x1==. | x2==. | ///
x3==. | x4==. | x5==. | x6==.
But I'm not sure if this is correct, so I did the following
which I think is.
gen miss=0
recode miss 0=1 if x1==.
recode miss 0=1 if x2==.
recode miss 0=1 if x3==.
recode miss 0=1 if x4==.
recode miss 0=1 if x5==.
recode miss 0=1 if x6==.
However is there a more succinct way to write this code,
instead of 7 lines?
   egen miss = rowmiss(x1-x6)
Note that in this -egen- function, x1-x6 is a variable list, as
opposed the rule for an expression where it means a difference.
It does not necessarily mean x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6; that depends on
what variables come between x1 and x6 in the dataset.
Hope this helps

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark